Friday, April 28, 2006

The record doing it for me right now



Bonnie Camplin's 'heavy epic' on a new label Decemberism released last year truly lives up to it's name. I don't know too much about Bonnie except (from what I've looked up on the net) that she used to be in Donateller and is a cross platform artist. All 20 mins of Side 1 ("Polanda Heavy Epic") is a morass of backward-sounding noise, with traces of different movements and songs, which perhaps again calls up the hauntology tag, but really sounds unlike anyone else in that particular arena. Side 2 is more in Position Normal territory, "Pearl and the Hanging Judge" sounds like some Vivian Goldman out-take and is a homeage to "The Hanging Judge" by Paul roland/Danse Macabre. As Bonnie herself states in the detailed sleevenotes: "I was trying to reconstruct the song from memory as I had lost my copy mnay years ago and could never find it again. The underlying riff was from the Troggs' With a girl like you. Then I blended Elkie Brookes' Pearls a singer with Kenny Rodgers' Ruby to provide the backing vocals and I made up some new words as foreboding the original."

"Perswayze" is a piece of fruitloops madness, "The Normal Food" and "Get Me a Mirror" borrow from Chirs Morris' BlueJam sessions (as Position Normal does) in the use of eerily slowed up speech patterns and "Steel Penis" brilliantly carves up sounds and twists melody. The whole thing is warmly packaged in a gatefold sleeve (by Enrico David). Go get yourself a copy...I got mine at Smallfish but check the label website www.decemberism.com for t'other outlets

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home